Friday, February 2, 2024 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 2, 2024 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Friday, February 2, 2024 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box Score.png
Box Score.png (169 KiB) Viewed 739 times
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ARMY TECHNOLOGY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Bearing the name of a man who died in Iowa in 1838, these began service in 1979 & today number in the thousands

Juveria Zaheer: 11800-0=11800 (+20000) = 31800 = $100,000 + ToC
Andy Tirrell: 4400-4400=0 (+14800) = 14800 = $50,000
Michael Menkhus: 13200-10401=2799 (+0) = 2799 = $25,000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Black Hawk helicopters (Juveria – What are?) (Andy – Hummers) (Michael – Sherman Abrams tanks)

Daily Doubles
Juveria: 800-1000
Andy: 2000+2000
Michael: 3600+3600

Coryats
Juveria: 12800
Andy: 4000
Michael: 11200

Combined: 28,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Juveria: 6200
Andy: 2000
Michael: 2800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Juveria locked up the match with room to spare and that's with a 2/5 on wagering clues. Andy was 2/2 on wagering clues, but lacked the buzzer skill and knowledge base to keep up. Michael was 2/4 on wagering clues and trying to play catch-up today led to mistakes.

The FJ! clues did not go well over the 2 days with Andy getting the one solve out of six responses. I got lucky on the FJ! clue as I went from stumped to Apache to getting the right thing on the paper.

Audio play-in tonight and one more CWC begins on Monday.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Is TOC and CWC (whatever that is) wildcard the same?

And good lord, this TOC's gonna like have 100 people.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ACW wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:54 pm Is TOC and CWC (whatever that is) wildcard the same?

ToC will have 27 champs from celeb winner first season to double digit winners down to 3xers then six winners through the CWC (Champions Wildcard of those who won at least one game of regular play or qualified through winning the Second Chance [SCC])

Monday starts the sixth and final CWC. The two winners from the previous SCCs will be in there along the winner of tonight's play-in game.

ToC tapes on Tuesday so good luck to everyone heading to Culver City next week.
OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

Yeah, Juveria! Congrats on completing the journey from Second Chance to ToC!
ACW wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:54 pm Is TOC and CWC (whatever that is) wildcard the same?

For what it's worth, many of the SCC/CWC games have been extremely good. I just hope Davies doesn't do another ToC until late 2025 or something. We do need a return to regular play.
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

OrchidEntity wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:04 pm Yeah, Juveria! Congrats on completing the journey from Second Chance to ToC!

For what it's worth, many of the SCC/CWC games have been extremely good. I just hope Davies doesn't do another ToC until late 2025 or something. We do need a return to regular play.
Honestly, the 3x winners are pretty talented too. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sean, Brian, Yogesh, Jake, or Jared at least make the semis.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

OrchidEntity wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:04 pm For what it's worth, many of the SCC/CWC games have been extremely good. I just hope Davies doesn't do another ToC until late 2025 or something. We do need a return to regular play.
I will acknowledge that the gameplay has been very good. The problem I have is that Davies failed to consider that he took away so many spots for hopefuls (and potential superchamps) with the postseason. I get he had to extend it due to the strike (and even then, ATQ's brought up another potential solution on his blog I think Davies should've considered), but I pray for the show's sake as well as his that he doesn't announce that the extended postseason becomes permanent going forward, seeing as he can't afford more damage to his reputation. With Davies though, who knows?

Davies also stated on Inside Jeopardy! that the TOC will be held later this year, though he didn't specify whether it would be this season or next. Regular play is set to resume in April.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

Trevor807 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:09 pm
OrchidEntity wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:04 pm For what it's worth, many of the SCC/CWC games have been extremely good. I just hope Davies doesn't do another ToC until late 2025 or something. We do need a return to regular play.
I will acknowledge that the gameplay has been very good. The problem I have is that Davies failed to consider that he took away so many spots for hopefuls (and potential superchamps) with the postseason. I get he had to extend it due to the strike (and even then, ATQ's brought up another potential solution on his blog I think Davies should've considered), but I pray for the show's sake as well as his that he doesn't announce that the extended postseason becomes permanent going forward. With Davies though, who knows?

Davies also stated on Inside Jeopardy! that the TOC will be held later this year, though he didn't specify whether it would be this season or next.
I mean why not? Juveria going down the SCC > CWC > TOC pipeline is arguably one of the biggest highlights of the season so far. I think at worst they should probably postpone it a bit to get more room for regular gameplay qualifiers, but I don't think they need to get rid of it at all. It's mainly just how the first four CWCs has made the season a bit messy and I feel like that's clouded a lot of people's judgment.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

finishemzoe wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:19 pm I think at worst they should probably postpone it a bit to get more room for regular gameplay qualifiers, but I don't think they need to get rid of it at all.
If Davies really wants to keep the postseason (even then, I maintain the extended postseason is hopefully a one-off), maybe that would be a compromise he should go for next season.
finishemzoe wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:19 pm It's mainly just how the first four CWCs has made the season a bit messy and I feel like that's clouded a lot of people's judgment.
There was already some backlash towards the postseason format both here and on Reddit, even before the strike.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Code: Select all

Juveria: 20000 11800 31800 43600
Andy:    14800  4400 19200 23600
Michael:     0 13200 13200 26400
Juveria: You have a lock. Bet less than $5,400, and enjoy your victory.
Michael: Bet $10,401 to cover Andy.
Andy: Michael has the advantage over you, but his cumulative total is behind yours and you'll take second if he misses no matter what. Bet what you want.
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

Trevor807 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:24 pm
finishemzoe wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:19 pm I think at worst they should probably postpone it a bit to get more room for regular gameplay qualifiers, but I don't think they need to get rid of it at all.
If Davies really wants to keep the postseason (even then, I maintain the extended postseason is hopefully a one-off), maybe that would be a compromise he should go for next season.
finishemzoe wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:19 pm It's mainly just how the first four CWCs has made the season a bit messy and I feel like that's clouded a lot of people's judgment.
There was already some backlash towards the postseason format both here and on Reddit, even before the strike.
I'm aware of that. I was pretty against CWC too though I always liked SCC. But it's grown on me a bit and I think it'll be a lot more organized if they go on with it in future seasons. I also just kind of hope that Davies doesn't continue to play with the formats any longer. Maybe hold JIT in primetime too or whatever.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

finishemzoe wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:32 pm I also just kind of hope that Davies doesn't continue to play with the formats any longer.
If he realizes that continued meddling with the show would be a good way to further sink both public and fan opinion on him, maybe he can earn some of my goodwill back. While my opinion on Davies is very low at this point, I want to be fair here.

I do agree with holding the JIT in primetime instead of as part of the regular series. I just want a solution where we can have as much regular play as Davies can allow.
Last edited by Trevor807 on Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:02 pm
ToC tapes on Tuesday so good luck to everyone heading to Culver City next week.
Appreciate ya :)
finishemzoe wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:45 pm
Honestly, the 3x winners are pretty talented too. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sean, Brian, Yogesh, Jake, or Jared at least make the semis.
You're too kind. :)

Personal bias aside, I agree with you that it felt as if last season produced a stronger than usual crop of 3x champs and I'm glad they (we) are all getting a shot against the big fishes.

Juveria is a worthy addition to ToC and demonstrates why second chance avenues and expanded ToC fields need to exist on the show in the 2020s.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

Good luck at the tourney, Jake! Yeah, that reminds me: Juveria is someone I'd count on too.

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

After the first final in Juveria's Second Chance games, I posted this:
seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:08 am Now that the path to the ToC for Second Chance players includes the Champions Wild Card, I think Juveria deserves a battlefield promotion directly to the ToC (assuming she comes out on top Monday).
I'm glad to see Juveria didn't need the help, and I'm sure she isn't arguing with the extra $100k this brings her. I hope Long makes it through too.