Friday, February 2, 2024 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, February 2, 2024 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CyrusChan »

How many will be at this year's ToC? and will there be season 40 regular season play?
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

CyrusChan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:17 am How many will be at this year's ToC? and will there be season 40 regular season play?
The ToC field will be 27:
  • Season 39 3+ game winners (Cris Pannullo, Ray Lalonde, Ben Chan, Hannah Wilson, Stephen Webb, Troy Meyer, Suresh Krishnan, Luigi de Guzman, Ben Goldstein, Matthew Marcus, David Sibley, Yogesh Raut, Sean McShane, Emmett Stanton, Jake DeArruda, Brian Henegar, Melissa Klapper, Jared Watson, Kevin Belle)
  • 2022-23 Celebrity Jeopardy! champion (Ike Barinholtz)
  • 2023 High School Reunion Tournament winner (Justin Bolsen)
  • Fall 2023 Champions Wildcard winners (Josh Saak, Emily Sands, Nick Cascone, Yungsheng Wang)
  • Winter 2024 Champions Wildcard winners (Juveria Zaheer, and a second player not yet known)
It'll start right after this upcoming Champions Wildcard (group 2), on February 23. Game 1 of the final will be on March 12; if that goes the distance, Game 7 would be on March 20.

After that will be the Jeopardy! Invitational Tournament, qualifying a player into the next Jeopardy! Masters. If the JIT is formatted the same as a Champions Wildcard (27 players, 14 games), the latest possible end date for that would be April 9.

The remainder of the season following the JIT will be regular play.

My "road map" might also be helpful to you and others here.
OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

Much luck to you, Jake!
mfc248 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:22 am After that will be the Jeopardy! Invitational Tournament, qualifying a player into the next Jeopardy! Masters. If the JIT is formatted the same as a Champions Wildcard (27 players, 14 games), the latest possible end date for that would be April 9.
I'm okay with this, but honestly...godspeed, Lucas Partridge. Patience of a saint at this point.
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Apache helicopter here. Blast.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I matched Michael with Abrams, but it didn't feel right. I feel like if Abrams had been a 19th century figure I would have known about him (turns out he was a general during the Vietnam era). Started thinking about helicopters toward the end of the time, but couldn't make it beyond Apache.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:25 pm I matched Michael with Abrams, but it didn't feel right. I feel like if Abrams had been a 19th century figure I would have known about him (turns out he was a general during the Vietnam era). Started thinking about helicopters toward the end of the time, but couldn't make it beyond Apache.
In general, Army helos are named after tribes, not people, so I just ignored them all. I couldn't come up with anyone who would have died around that time.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Haven’t seen any mention of it yet, but does anybody else think this is a dreadful FJ clue? Especially for the final game of a tournament?

But hell, every other game this season is the final game of a tournament so maybe that part shouldn’t factor in. :lol:
Leander

Post by Leander »

econgator wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:14 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:25 pm I matched Michael with Abrams, but it didn't feel right. I feel like if Abrams had been a 19th century figure I would have known about him (turns out he was a general during the Vietnam era). Started thinking about helicopters toward the end of the time, but couldn't make it beyond Apache.
In general, Army helos are named after tribes, not people, so I just ignored them all. I couldn't come up with anyone who would have died around that time.
Having spent some time in the Chicago area following the Blackhawks, I always assumed they were named for a tribe. I had never heard of a person by that name, so I just blanked on an answer.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I got as far as knowing it must be helicopters but picked "Apache". :(
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Didn't get Delicious Before & After $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
DCFan1911
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by DCFan1911 »

Leander wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:53 pm
econgator wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:14 pm [quote="This Is Kirk!" post_id=404054 time=1706988359 user_id=11131
Having spent some time in the Chicago area following the Blackhawks, I always assumed they were named for a tribe. I had never heard of a person by that name, so I just blanked on an answer.
This is about the same as my thought process - I’d forgotten Black Hawk was named after a person instead of a tribe. My wife thought of Abrams, I thought of Bradley. As far as my guess went I was pretty sure it had to be wrong, since I assumed the Bradley Fighting Vehicle was named after Omar Bradley, who died in 1981 rather than 1838…
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

mfc248 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:22 am
CyrusChan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:17 am How many will be at this year's ToC? and will there be season 40 regular season play?
The ToC field will be 27:
  • Season 39 3+ game winners (Cris Pannullo, Ray Lalonde, Ben Chan, Hannah Wilson, Stephen Webb, Troy Meyer, Suresh Krishnan, Luigi de Guzman, Ben Goldstein, Matthew Marcus, David Sibley, Yogesh Raut, Sean McShane, Emmett Stanton, Jake DeArruda, Brian Henegar, Melissa Klapper, Jared Watson, Kevin Belle)
  • 2022-23 Celebrity Jeopardy! champion (Ike Barinholtz)
  • 2023 High School Reunion Tournament winner (Justin Bolsen)
  • Fall 2023 Champions Wildcard winners (Josh Saak, Emily Sands, Nick Cascone, Yungsheng Wang)
  • Winter 2024 Champions Wildcard winners (Juveria Zaheer, and a second player not yet known)
It'll start right after this upcoming Champions Wildcard (group 2), on February 23. Game 1 of the final will be on March 12; if that goes the distance, Game 7 would be on March 20.

After that will be the Jeopardy! Invitational Tournament, qualifying a player into the next Jeopardy! Masters. If the JIT is formatted the same as a Champions Wildcard (27 players, 14 games), the latest possible end date for that would be April 9.

The remainder of the season following the JIT will be regular play.

My "road map" might also be helpful to you and others here.
Thank you for your response.

I was hoping it was 18+ 3 for Cris Pannullo, Ray Lalonde, Ben Chan getting bye's. Not big with all those 3-game winners.

The finals will be first to win 3 games, rather than total 2-game match?

I like the Masters match-up to be like a relegation competition each year. The final three (become masters) for season B , replaces the lower three of the previous season A's masters, and so forth going forward. By that, we would see James, Matt, and Mattea.