Wednesday, February 7, 2024 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 7, 2024 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Wednesday, February 7, 2024 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box Score.png
Box Score.png (134.57 KiB) Viewed 408 times
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WONDERS OF THE ANCIENT WORLD

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Achilles Tatius wrote that it "was like a mountain… at the top of this mountain rose a second sun"

Justin White: 3600-3000=600
Lisa Sriken: 11000-9000=2000
Taylor Clagett: 15600-7400=8200 (Semifinalist)

Correct response:
Spoiler
the Lighthouse of Alexandria (Justin – Colossus of Rhodes) (Lisa - :) ) (Taylor – Collosus of Rhodes)

Daily Doubles
Justin: 2200-2200
Lisa: 7800-4000
Taylor: 8800+1200

Coryats
Justin: 5800
Lisa: 15000
Taylor: 16000

Combined: 36,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Justin: 400
Lisa: 6600
Taylor: 5600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Playing originally:
Justin 1x
Lisa 2x
Taylor 2x

Lisa was good and bad in her original run and today had some of each as well. Taylor was trailing Lisa for a lot of the match but had a good stretch of the DJ! Round to work up to the lead.

Lisa had a possible 22000 and Taylor attempted to reach 23000. Instead of falling to the expected 9199, Taylor fell to 8200.

Justin's max was 7200. Lisa could have won from second place on the TS clue but did not do what worked in yesterday's match.

It's not overly surprising though still sad the clue could not get a correct response. It's a J! staple and easy study segment to be ready for the Wonders.

I took the shortcut and wrote Pharos instead of the longer city name.

When Lisa played originally she wrote "Please Clap" on game one and "Goodbye Cruel World when she won her second game. Today, two dots and arc was a disappointing lack of creativity.

Depending on how the semis shake out there may be others in the final 9 who will hate Lisa's wager today even more than Golf will hate it.
OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

No "That's all folks!" from Lisa makes me sadder than the game outcome, even if that would have taken ten more seconds to write out.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:44 pm Depending on how the semis shake out there may be others in the final 9 who will hate Lisa's wager today even more than Golf will hate it.
Quoted for truth.
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I don't like the category without the "SEVEN" qualifier, but I had no trouble with the clue. Like Mark said, it's a Jep-Prep "You Gotta Know".
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:44 pm Depending on how the semis shake out there may be others in the final 9 who will hate Lisa's wager today even more than Golf will hate it.
Not surprised to see the suicide wager.
Not surprised to see no attempt to answer.

The two combined? Wow.

She had a 1 in 7 chance by just guessing a random ancient wonder.

But hey, she was probably just happy to be there. Again.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Hurts you if you know that the Colossus of Rhodes was a statue of Helios, the sun god.

Hurts you if you know many depictions of the Colossus show the statue bearing a fiery torch.

You pretty much have to know Achilles Tatius's life dates as A.D. and know that the Colossus was destroyed B.C. to rule out the Colossus. But even then that doesn't surely rule out the Colossus because Achilles Tatius, like many ancients, could have been giving a centuries-old hearsay description rather than a personal observation.

Really no way to rule out the Great Pyramid either, given that it (by many surmises) had a gold- or electrum-covered pyramidion that matches the clue nicely. When this cap was removed (if it indeed existed) is lost to history, and it could have plausibly survived into Achilles Tatius's time. It is believed that the rest of the pyramids' white limestone coverings survived well into the Middle Ages.

There would've been many ways to make this clue more certainly solvable without making it especially easier, but I guess we don't bother with that these days.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Golf wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:54 pm [She had a 1 in 7 chance by just guessing a random ancient wonder.
Odds that improved considerably if you paid attention to the part of the clue that mentioned a light at the top. It's a lighthouse, for crying out loud.

I was actually more curious to see who would use the Greek word "pharos" instead.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

da Doctah wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:00 pm It's a lighthouse, for crying out loud.
Or at least the odds can be narrowed to 1 in 3.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Knew they’d never use him, but was hoping for this guy as an answer in Sports Professors.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Tanaka

As an actor appeared in The Running Man and Black Rain among others.

Got Old Testament $800 from watching Footloose too many times.
davey

Post by davey »

I'm not so good with the 7 Wonders - haven't reviewed them in years - but (so?) I thought this was obvious. Though I blanked on the word Pharos..., and was a little nervous Lighthouse wasn't good enough...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:44 pm It's not overly surprising though still sad the clue could not get a correct response. It's a J! staple and easy study segment to be ready for the Wonders.
I've said it here before, multiple times, (Go ahead! Search!), if there's ONE THING you should have on your flash cards for J!, it's the ancient wonders.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Blancanieves (10), Morbius (5), Farmageddon (7), The Batman (8)
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

not really 1 in 7, just name the tallest one in mind. oh yeahh.. .it needs to be singular.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Emergency alerts interrupted tonight's audio in Los Angeles, twice, so thanks for the ever-prompt archiving to help supplement my lip-reading abilities. (I had to watch on recording due to a Zoom meeting during the airing, and although my recorder does save the closed captioning data, it has no way of showing it during playback, otherwise I would have just switched it on during those moments.)
CyrusChan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:02 am not really 1 in 7, just name the tallest one in mind. oh yeahh.. .it needs to be singular.
The Great Pyramid is singular in the Seven Ancient Wonders list, and you know it's the tallest.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

It took me a good 20 seconds to come up with FJ. I was stuck on Mount Etna, but realized 1. it IS a mountain, and 2. it isn't considered a wonder of the ancient world. Once I actually focused on the category it was easy.
Game Girl
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, February 6, 2024 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Game Girl »

I love how one of contestants saying say you know you called me the wrong name so many times in a row. I also remember hearing this on the podcast but it is funnier to hear it from the guys mouth.

you know it is just like 'Masters tournament Davies' to somehow make a interview from another contestant a platform to increase the fire between Ken and James. this interview seems to suggest that whole I am not the villain thing either did not happen or put super out of context. again I do not hate him but he definitely said approximately 'this is the biggest plot point'. I really hope this year is Masters go more inclusive of every contestant and that was a one year thing because that point of the interview (back on the podcast from last year) was when I realized everything went too far. granted I got too deep into that tournament also.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:43 am Emergency alerts interrupted tonight's audio in Los Angeles, twice, so thanks for the ever-prompt archiving to help supplement my lip-reading abilities. (I had to watch on recording due to a Zoom meeting during the airing, and although my recorder does save the closed captioning data, it has no way of showing it during playback, otherwise I would have just switched it on during those moments.)
CyrusChan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:02 am not really 1 in 7, just name the tallest one in mind. oh yeahh.. .it needs to be singular.
The Great Pyramid is singular in the Seven Ancient Wonders list, and you know it's the tallest.
ahhh by that, it wouldn't work. I always thought it was the pyramids of Giza.