Thursday, February 8, 2024 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Thursday, February 8, 2024 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

reddpen wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:38 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:09 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:58 pm
da Doctah wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:29 pm So, how many of the novels in "End of Story" have you actually read? I can claim two.
Huh? I don't know what that is.
The rightmost DJ category, END OF STORY. The correct responses were Of Mice and Men, Frankenstein, "The Lottery," A Clockwork Orange, and Gilead. I can also only claim two (probably the two shortest ones). Edit: Well, one, really; the other isn't a novel.
I've read Of Mice and Men, A Clockwork Orange and "The Lottery." One guess which of those was not assigned in a class.
Frankenstein and A Clockwork Orange here. Neither assigned in class.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Blancanieves (10), Morbius (5), Farmageddon (7), The Batman (8)
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I read them all, but that didn't help on Gilead, since I first thought of another Robinson novel, Housekeeping, made into a movie, and I totally missed the balm TOM...I didn't care for it as much as Ken does, and much of the literary world. It's about a preacher and his theological struggles...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

da Doctah wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:29 pm So, how many of the novels in "End of Story" have you actually read? I can claim two.
The rightmost DJ category, END OF STORY. The correct responses were Of Mice and Men, Frankenstein, "The Lottery," A Clockwork Orange, and Gilead. I can also only claim two (probably the two shortest ones). Edit: Well, one, really; the other isn't a novel.
Oh, right. I've read the first three. I've seen the movie for A Clockwork Orange, so generally know enough about that to answer most clues that come up about it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I've read Of Mice and Men, A Clockwork Orange and "The Lottery." One guess which of those was not assigned in a class.
We read A Clockwork Orange in English class. Not only that, but our teacher took us on a field trip where we all rode our bikes to a nearby theater and watched the movie. In a lot of states nowadays, she would probably be serving a prison sentence.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have read The Lottery and Of Mice and Men. I have seen the movie A Clockwork Orange. I have eaten Frankenberry cereal.
billiej

Post by billiej »

alietr wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:34 am
We read A Clockwork Orange in English class. Not only that, but our teacher took us on a field trip where we all rode our bikes to a nearby theater and watched the movie. In a lot of states nowadays, she would probably be serving a prison sentence.
She could share a cell with my English teacher, who took our middle school class to see Franco Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet. :lol:
davey

Post by davey »

billiej wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:39 am
She could share a cell with my English teacher, who took our middle school class to see Franco Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet. :lol:
If Zefferelli were alive, he might be in jail...
https://www.vulture.com/article/romeo-j ... wsuit.html
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:01 pm If Zefferelli were alive, he might be in jail...
https://www.vulture.com/article/romeo-j ... wsuit.html
Huh, that article mentions someone whose child I was taking care of during the summer my J! run aired. I talked to him about it, and he told me he had won $40,000 on Greed and he paid for his wedding with it. I'm not saying his name here, but here's an archived recap of his game (the second one on the page), in which they spelled his last name wrong.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Your (high school?) teacher took your class to see a movie that was rated X? Man, the early '70s were a different time.
In and out of the pool four times
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

reddpen wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:16 am
Your (high school?) teacher took your class to see a movie that was rated X? Man, the early '70s were a different time.
Looking it up, it was originally released as an X, but Kubrick cut 30 seconds and it was re-released as an R. I'm pretty sure we saw the R version, which was still a pretty hard R.