LL 100

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

LL 100

Post by Bamaman »

The rundle assignments have been posted for the new season, which will begin on Lincoln and Darwin’s 215th birthday.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL 100

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:58 pm The rundle assignments have been posted for the new season, which will begin on Lincoln and Darwin’s 215th birthday.
I didn't know about Darwin having the same name day.

A good way to retain Lincoln's birth year if you happen to have dabbled in coin collecting:
The Lincoln head cent came out in 1909 replacing the Indian Head cent to honor Abe's 100th birthday. Then, 50 years later they put the Lincoln Memorial on the reverse side replacing the wheat sheaves.

I also know George W's birth year since the Washington quarter came out in 1932, 200 years after his hatching. (I have no idea if it is really 200 years considering the calendar mischief in 1752).

I remain in Waterfront D-2 with only 20 players, with 3 promotion spots and 4 relegation spots.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:15 am I also know George W's birth year since the Washington quarter came out in 1932, 200 years after his hatching. (I have no idea if it is really 200 years considering the calendar mischief in 1752).
His O.S. birthday was February 11, 1731; the Gregorian version of his birthdate is February 22, 1732. Going 11 to 22 is from giving back excess February 29ths over the centuries, and 1731 to 1732 is from no longer counting March 25 as the first day of the year. 1932 is an accurate Washingtonian bicentennial.

Fun fact: my grandfather was born in Poland in 1912, and there's a discrepancy between what my family says is his birthday and what the US government says it was. I realized a couple years ago that since Poland was not a country in 1912 and Russia, who was a late hanger-on to the Julian calendar, had its claws in some of Poland at that time, that the birthday my mom, aunt, and uncle consider his may indeed be Julian and hence 13 days too early. It's also possible that the government corrected what didn't need correcting and changed his astrological sign erroneously. I won't have an answer until I see his birth/baptismal records. (I've seen his parents' marriage record from a few years earlier, and it's written in cursive Russian so I don't have the exact wording, but there is a part that says "третьего/шестнадцатого Сентября"—"on the third/sixteenth of September"—so I'm confident that a church record of his birth will clear it up for good.)

Edit for update: Spurred on by having posted about it, I found a church record of his baptism. These documents are formulaic enough that it's not so tough to figure out how they start (it happened in this town, in this parish, on this date...), so I had "on the seventeenth (thirtieth) of November" which is merely his baptism date. He was born either one day or two weeks before this. But later in the document, I was able to decode "a male infant child, born yesterday to lawful wife..." So yes, my grandfather's birthday as we knew it was his Julian calendar birthday.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Never seen Ferris Bueller’s Day Off! 🙊

Middling opening MD for morbeedo — L 2(3)—7(5)
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Snatched a tie from the jaws of victory yesterday, 6(5) - 6(4). I was running through defense in my head when I answered, and said to keep Grisham as the 0 since that was obviously the easiest question. Then I saw my opponent's film score was their highest, so I threw that down as the 0. They missed it, of course, so I'm starting off the season in true me-in-LL fashion--defensive errors costing me points.

Was a good set for me to get my feet wet with the new season. A few instagets, a nice one that required a little logical thinking and puzzling it out (algorithm), one that I dug a little deeper on (Ferris Bueller), and one that I knew I'd miss unless I got lucky (Topaz was my guess, so I wasn't lucky).
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I missed the movie car question too, and my opponent stuck the 0 there, so I eked out a win with fewer correct answers.

I also missed this Q in LL75:
A highly modified (and wildly unsafe) 1921 Oldsmobile Model 46 touring roadster appears prominently in the opening credits of what TV show?
. I wonder if there's a list of car makes and models from movies and TV? I'm sure there must be somewhere.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:53 pm I missed the movie car question too, and my opponent stuck the 0 there, so I eked out a win with fewer correct answers.

I also missed this Q in LL75:
A highly modified (and wildly unsafe) 1921 Oldsmobile Model 46 touring roadster appears prominently in the opening credits of what TV show?
. I wonder if there's a list of car makes and models from movies and TV? I'm sure there must be somewhere.
IMCDB.org (Internet Movie Car Database)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:32 am Never seen Ferris Bueller’s Day Off! 🙊

Middling opening MD for morbeedo — L 2(3)—7(5)
I am apparently the only person in the world that hated that movie.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Delaware. The only one my opponent missed was Delaware. I'm not mad that it wrecked my defense, I'm just disappointed.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Sha’Carri Richardson — yay! I got a sports question! 🤣 (and 3 points)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:40 am Sha’Carri Richardson — yay! I got a sports question! 🤣 (and 3 points)
A Current Events question masquerading as a Sports question. I expect a fair number of people (such as me) recalled her name primarily due to her suspension in 2021.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Woof wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:38 am
morbeedo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:40 am Sha’Carri Richardson — yay! I got a sports question! 🤣 (and 3 points)
A Current Events question masquerading as a Sports question. I expect a fair number of people (such as me) recalled her name primarily due to her suspension in 2021.
And my track-and-field maven opponent (who I wanted to give the 3 points to (not naming names here or anything)) did not. grumble grumble
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mahatma wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:56 pm
And my track-and-field maven opponent (who I wanted to give the 3 points to (not naming names here or anything)) did not. grumble grumble
Sorry :roll: . I should change my avatar to a straight stiff pole vaulting pole to reflect my actual T&F knowledge base. Good thing it's preseason so I can disappoint you three more times :evil: . At least you get one point for the zero since I obliged my 0.192 Theater grade by missing R&C but I have heard of them. Congrats on the early beer.

On MD1 I listed about 15 birthstones on a list and didn't recognize any computer references and wound up leaving it blank. I would have gone with sapphire or emerald over my own actual birthstone, ruby. Seward was just a guess but I was pretty comfortable with it. I guessed Thelma and Louise as a car movie, but forgot the Bueller movie had a sports car in it. All I can remember about that movie is Ben Stein, and Tom Cruise dancing in his underwear(the Oxford comma seemed necessary :lol). I wish I could forget it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:58 pm and Tom Cruise dancing in his underwear
That's Risky Business.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:23 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:58 pm and Tom Cruise dancing in his underwear
That's Risky Business.
Well, he said he wished he could forget it... ;)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:58 pm
On MD1 I listed about 15 birthstones on a list and didn't recognize any computer references and wound up leaving it blank. I would have gone with sapphire or emerald over my own actual birthstone, ruby.
I guessed Perl, having heard of "perlscript",which may have nothing to do with programming, but I figured maybe that's where "multiparadigm" came in.

I somehow failed to send, and failed to notice my failure, so I forfeited round 2, when I might have lost by one point instead.

I'd call Sha'Carri Richardson a sports question. I doubt many complete non-followers of sports would remember her name three years after a suspension for marijuana.
I'm smart and I want respect.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

That's Risky Business.
And that was a Porsche.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

That's Risky Business.
Rats- I haven't even seen that movie but I'm cursed with the Fruit of the Loom imagery from memes or trailers somehow :( . Where's the whitey tighty filter for my computer?

I guess "island green" is adequately pinned, but it seems a little loose. I can't think of an ambiguous alternative except "water hole" which is how us duffers ID them. I played Sawgrass last July so the question was a layup, even if the hole wasn't :).
Spoiler
My caddie suggested the 8 iron (which I loathe) and after washing two of them I hit the safety club (baby 11 wood) to 4 feet and missed the putt of course :lol:
I finally managed to give up an unforced point in the Tank rundle. Cat H and GameGirl landed the 3's on a tough day. I think the first three days have been tougher than average.
Volante

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:18 am I guess "island green" is adequately pinned, but it seems a little loose. I can't think of an ambiguous alternative except "water hole" which is how us duffers ID them.
"Island hole" was accepted. I considered island green, but worried that maybe part of the island -wasn't- part of the green.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

What's the statute of limitations on current events? I knew exactly whom the question was referring to, but couldn't remember her name after three years.