LL 100

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: LL 100

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:21 pm
Woof wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:38 am
morbeedo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:40 am Sha’Carri Richardson — yay! I got a sports question! 🤣 (and 3 points)
A Current Events question masquerading as a Sports question. I expect a fair number of people (such as me) recalled her name primarily due to her suspension in 2021.
What's the statute of limitations on current events? I knew exactly whom the question was referring to, but couldn't remember her name after three years.
I got as far as "LSU runner".
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:21 pm What's the statute of limitations on current events?
At least 4 years, if the Beiruit question yesterday is any indication.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

The Tank Rundle really stank it up yesterday on the final pre-season day :mrgreen: .

6 of a possible 7 threes were assigned, and only 1 of possible 7 zeroes were wasted
CatH managed to give a Dolly Parton (9-(5)) to mahatma to score the extra point.
There were two singleton threes landed.
This is some Jacksonville Jaguars/ Chicago Bears quality tanking!

I had a meeting with Athabasca Oil Company (in Calgary), but didn't know what the namesake feature was besides the oil field. I guessed river over lake since I am more likely to have heard of a Lake Eyre if it exists (it does, as well as Athabasca River. the clue is apparently pinned with Lake Balkhash which doesn't seem to have a river).
My guess on the song was "that's what I like" until I changed songs and it was the obvious choice.
I thought pentane might go a little higher than 29% because of it's guessability, but I'm not surprised since it is preceded by non-geometric names (methane, ethane, propane, butane), rather than guessable hexane, heptane, octane, etc..
I'm surprised Beirut went at 64%. I thought the fertilizer was still on docked ships, so the warehouse gave me some pause, but I knew it was right.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

My pub trivia teammates and I have an informal rule we call the “Abner Doubleday” rule after a bygone question: when you don’t know the answer, guess someone or something vaguely related in the hopes that it might be the right answer. Case in point yesterday: Pulitzer Prize-winning composers with same first and last names? I know nothing about the music Pulitzers but I do know of a few American composers. John Adams composes operas and has a name that might be rather common. Ok, let’s put him down. Better to be lucky than good.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Woof wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:45 pm John Adams composes operas and has a name that might be rather common. Ok, let’s put him down. Better to be lucky than good.
Good call to join the 14% who got it. The MCWA of John Williams is probably the 18% of us who didn't know about Mr. Adams.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:10 pm
Woof wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:45 pm John Adams composes operas and has a name that might be rather common. Ok, let’s put him down. Better to be lucky than good.
Good call to join the 14% who got it. The MCWA of John Williams is probably the 18% of us who didn't know about Mr. Adams.
Williams for me. I didn't think it was John Williams, but at least he has a name that's common. I knew if it wasn't him I wasn't getting it right. John Adams the composer(s) was vaguely familiar to me after I saw it, but wouldn't have pulled it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Could have had my first Buckner win, but had to settle for the tie. Didn't realize manchego was such a well-known thing. I had the MCWA.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

"People do not give it credence that a young girl could leave home and go off in the wintertime to avenge her father's blood, but it did happen." So begins what 2010 film, a new adaptation of a 1968 novel that was first adapted to film in 1969?
I almost went with "Rochelle, Rochelle: A Young Girl's Strange, Erotic Journey From Milan to Minsk" until the actual answer dawned on me. :D
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

econgator wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:24 am Could have had my first Buckner win, but had to settle for the tie. Didn't realize manchego was such a well-known thing. I had the MCWA.
I am told it also appeared in yesterday's New York Times crossword.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:10 pm
econgator wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:24 am Could have had my first Buckner win, but had to settle for the tie. Didn't realize manchego was such a well-known thing. I had the MCWA.
I am told it also appeared in yesterday's New York Times crossword.
I was checking the Archive to see if manchego was J-Canon (it is, even using the same Don Quixote clue as the LL question), and I discovered that it appears in 1000 Foods to Eat Before You Die. I'd bet that book appears in Thosten's reference library, and I'm going to have to track down a copy to buy and then set on a shelf and maybe open once.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had an amazing start to the season. I went 0-5 with six TCA. Amazingly there are two people behind me in the standings and neither forfeited anything.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I concur with Bamaman that the first week is a tough sledding down in the minors. Implausibly, I'm undefeated in first (4-0-1) in Waterfront D2 with only 11 TCA (tied for 8th), and a .611 DE. Except for Athabasca River/Lake miss, I haven't been close on the 19 misses, and 3 of the makes were WAGS with Suleiman, farce, and Seward. This must be scripted like the Chiefs Super Bowl run where Taylor and Travis are going to endorse Biden :lol: .

It's fun to cash in the benefit of lifelong learning - last year I made a spreadsheet of about ten sunblocks to find what common ingredient might be giving twelvefootgirl bad rashes and hyaluronic acid showed up on several of them. Then I started seeing the name in many places so took a shot at the cosmetic filler question. I don't know what a filler is or does, but I earned the zero for it :). Luckily, I got the three for farce, after cycling through slapstick, then satire. I stalled out at Mancha for the cheese and couldn't guess a derivative name for cheese.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

what's the record for ties in a season? I'm at 4 after 6 days.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Almost a perfect stench in the Tank Rundle. Eight 3's were awarded, and Seven 0's wasted. Thanks to 4 balks, 2 quakers, and two of the 255's. Two of them were singleton 3-(1)'s as well :).

I might have got the Ip4 address phrased differently, but it's my fault. I transposed "digits" for "integers" and thought there was a possible fourth digit for the front term. I've seen the 255 plenty of times to have guessed it wrong. Usually I'm having a bad day when I am inside the admin window.

I dismissed Moses and Jesus a little too quickly and decided it was a fancy art term I'd never heard of (like triptych which I learned in my first season on LL).

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I have two bottles of framboise lambic in my refrigerator waiting for me. It was probably my favorite alcoholic drink until I recently discovered Chartreuse.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:56 am It was probably my favorite alcoholic drink until I recently discovered Chartreuse.
Sorry to hear that.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:30 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:56 am It was probably my favorite alcoholic drink until I recently discovered Chartreuse.
Sorry to hear that.
All too well aware. I have two bottles, and they were pretty hard to find.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Down to 0-6. Anyone ever go 0-25 while trying to win?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:32 am I dismissed Moses and Jesus a little too quickly
I knew it was a stretch but I went with "hymn," hoping the prophet was 'Him.' Certainly Jesus is described often as "him," but I guess not specific enough. Never heard Mosaic in reference to Moses, but it makes sense.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

If you write poetry while drinking lambic, is it lambic pentameter?