Thursday, February 15, 2024 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, February 15, 2024 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:30 am I don't think I would ever have thought of the Gateway Arch, since in pictures it looks like one piece, rather than a central piece with "legs"...
I agree with you there.

This is yet another Final clue with an overlap with Ken's podcast. https://www.omnibusproject.com/333
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:30 am
Robert K S wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:38 am
davey wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:15 am i don't blame anybody - like myself!- from jumping at this response.
Even if you could imagine the Tour Eiffel as having two feet, you've still got the problem that in no conception is it as wide as it is tall. Jump at the response, sure, but think twice about it.
hence, "...reflection could make you see the error." Not always easy to do in that 30 seconds...I don't think I would ever have thought of the Gateway Arch, since in pictures it looks like one piece, rather than a central piece with "legs"...
Huh? It is one piece. "Legs" maybe have been a bit confusing, but I'm not sure what wording would have been better.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:15 am i don't blame anybody - like myself!- from jumping at this response.
Even if you could imagine the Tour Eiffel as having two feet, you've still got the problem that in no conception is it as wide as it is tall. Jump at the response, sure, but think twice about it.
hence, "...reflection could make you see the error." Not always easy to do in that 30 seconds...I don't think I would ever have thought of the Gateway Arch, since in pictures it looks like one piece, rather than a central piece with "legs"...
That's what did me in. The arch just never occurred to me. If the clue had specified "endpoints," I might have stood a chance. But talking about distance between the arch's "legs" is like talking about the distance between a straw's holes.

Mrs. Penguin had no such hangups and got this one easily. As soon as she gave her response, I knew it had to be correct despite my quibbles. Specifically, she said "What is the Saint Louis Arch?" and would like some assurance that this would be accepted. I told her it would be, but she doesn't trust me the way she would some random person on the internet.

EDIT: I found two archived cases where her response was accepted and many more that accepted "What is the arch?" for clues that specified St. Louis. She is now satisfied.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:51 am
Huh? It is one piece.
It's not carved out of one piece of steel and concrete, right? "One piece" is an illusion, and also my point....No one has ever referred to the "legs" of a rainbow...
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:54 am I've always been fond of catenaries since discovering that a lot of parabolas are actually catenaries.
I’d never heard of catenaries until visiting Gaudi house in Barcelona. Now, I can’t forget them.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:50 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:54 am I've always been fond of catenaries since discovering that a lot of parabolas are actually catenaries.
I’d never heard of catenaries until visiting Gaudi house in Barcelona. Now, I can’t forget them.
Of course you also hear it in the context of the overhead electrical cables used to power trains and electric busses.
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

Diandra's two wins weren't huge (but a win is a win!). I think she came out blazing in this one though. Extra studying? More favorable categories? Whatever it is, that was an impressive performance.
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

The legs gave me pause, but I couldn't think of anything else. Like another poster mentioned the Colossus of Rhodes briefly flitted through but didn't stick around when I was worrying about the wording of the clue.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

The facts in this FJ! just came up in the Disney+ "Percy Jackson" series, which has a long scene set at the Gateway Arch. Turns out it's secretly a temple to Athena.

(Yes, I am a middle-aged man who watched a TV show primarily aimed at teenagers.)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Missed Pop Culture $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni