Tuesday, February 20, 2024 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, February 20, 2024 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

jamie wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:43 am The problem I have is that neither "officially" nor "declare" have ironclad definitions here
OED definition of "officially": "In an official manner or capacity; by virtue, or in consequence, of one's office; by or in presence of an official; with official authority, sanction, or formality. Now frequently in contexts implying a contrast with other some truth or actuality: in public and for official purposes, but not necessarily in reality."

The second half of the definition can be discarded for the purposes of the clue, since we are not dealing with an unreality. (At least not yet. Stay tuned?)

I don't think there's any other way to read "officially" in the clue than to mean that whoever is doing the declaring, they are doing it in their official capacity, that is, in their capacity as an officeholder authorized and empowered to make such a declaration.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

This is the current language of the Electoral Count Act (emphasis added)-

(3) LIST OF VOTES BY TELLERS; DECLARATION OF WINNER.—The tellers shall make a list of the votes as they shall appear from the said certificates; and the votes having been ascertained and counted according to the rules in this subchapter provided, the result of the same shall be delivered to the President of the Senate, who shall thereupon announce the state of the vote, which announcement shall be deemed a sufficient declaration of the persons, if any, elected President and Vice President of the United States, and, together with a list of the votes, be entered on the Journals of the two Houses.

This appears to be substantially similar to the old statute. Other parts of the new law are meant to remove controversy, viz.-
(2)Powers explicitly denied.—
The President of the Senate shall have no power to solely determine, accept, reject, or otherwise adjudicate or resolve disputes over the proper certificate of ascertainment of appointment of electors, the validity of electors, or the votes of electors.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/3/15
davey

Post by davey »

Golf wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:31 pm
Golf wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:37 pm I thought it to be a weak clue as well. On first reading I thought it was Hillary, but at last check Hillary is not a he. So then if it's not her then they're looking for Gore.
davey wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:08 pm How do you figure? If you think Hillary is eligible at all and you've eliminated not-Trump, then the next response is Romney...
Because if we're looking at it as who is the last presidential candidate that conceded, we know it's not Trump. Next in line is Hillary and she did. But we know it's not her because of the pronoun. So if Hillary conceded and that's not the answer, then it's not Romney either because he conceded as well. In other words, there's nothing different between Hillary and Romney in this regard so now we've got to look at this differently. So it takes us all the way back to Gore and the more official decision and such that went on in 2000.
this makes it sound simple! If I had been able to make that adjustment, or just focus on the word officially - one of which Jesse managed to do, apparently - I don't think I'd be complaining... :) :)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Picked the wrong Lord of the Rings Character, and missed Action Films $400, $800, and $2000. Gunshot wound to the stomach.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

See, LSV got it right! How hard can it be?... ;)