Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:20 am Pyramid 9/18 had a category of: Let's Get Quizzical
Things a Jeopardy! champion might mention in their Tinder profile
"Jennings"
Nicole Byer: Oh, the new host!
Contestant: Mayim Bialik?
Nicole: No, man.
Contestant: Pass.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

As a fan of both candy corn and Nerds... Nerds candy corn is an impressive confluence of terrible. My first clue should've been the hard shell... :oops:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

A future player to potentially watch out for. 8-time US Crossword champion Dan Feyer.

Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

One person said he had never seen him finish below the top three in any competition and was confident he wouldn't here.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:17 am One person said he had never seen him finish below the top three in any competition and was confident he wouldn't here.

This has the construction of what some would call...a joke.

Sincerely, Captain Obvious.
Volante

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:37 am
Bamaman wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:17 am One person said he had never seen him finish below the top three in any competition and was confident he wouldn't here.

This has the construction of what some would call...a joke.

Sincerely, Captain Obvious.
It was terrible. I came in fourth. On Jeopardy!
(with apologies to R. Dangerfield)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I was wondering what it would be like to fight a giant squirrel and I found the video below which sheds some light on the matter. Others may also be interested.

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
William Bermudez
Contributor

Post by William Bermudez »

An episode of Wizard of Odds, Trebek's first American game show, got uploaded to YouTube the other day.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Nice find, I didn't know any episodes existed. He did a good job as host but the show itself was pretty bad.

He said the White House was around 150 or so years old because the original burned down. I know it was set on fire during the War of 1812 but didn't think the whole place was destroyed. But Adams moved there in 1800 so it was still under 185 when this was taped.

The final round where she had to pick things that added up to under 50 was pretty easy. You can toss out Gillespie's age, Harrison's term, and percent of women working in 1972 right away.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Evening shot. Found out my watch's battery died this morning. Apparently the replacement i put in May 20, 2019, couldn't even last 3.5 years unlike its predecessor that lasted 10.

How did I know the exact date I replaced the battery? Cause apparently I brought it up here last time :lol:
viewtopic.php?p=308281#p308281

Expect another thrilling Casio watch update March 2026!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:23 pm Evening shot. Found out my watch's battery died this morning. Apparently the replacement i put in May 20, 2019, couldn't even last 3.5 years unlike its predecessor that lasted 10.

How did I know the exact date I replaced the battery? Cause apparently I brought it up here last time :lol:

As someone who has worn that same model of watch for lots of years, I enjoy the updates. For me, I can go to my Amazon history and track my purchases. Wearing the watch only when I need it instead of wake up to bedtime has increased the lifespan of the band.

It's fun to spot the same watch on TV. Last week I saw it on one of the Amazing Racers.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:47 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:23 pm Evening shot. Found out my watch's battery died this morning. Apparently the replacement i put in May 20, 2019, couldn't even last 3.5 years unlike its predecessor that lasted 10.

As someone who has worn that same model of watch for lots of years, I enjoy the updates. For me, I can go to my Amazon history and track my purchases. Wearing the watch only when I need it instead of wake up to bedtime has increased the lifespan of the band.

It's fun to spot the same watch on TV. Last week I saw it on one of the Amazing Racers.
Incidentally, the NATO strap has held on this whole time and practically as good as day one, its just filthier. I should wash it...but itd have to be by hand and I am so very very lazy...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The NYT crossword for Wednesday 10/19/22

15A: Looney Tunes bunny (4)

Heads up: Work some downs first.

Correct fill:
Spoiler
LOLA
To constructor Ryan Patrick Smith: :twisted:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I recognized a coincidence between the Sunday NYT crossword puzzle and a tweet I had made, and then I looked up my tweet and discovered it was a more remarkable coincidence than I'd thought. I'll be more specific later so I don't spoil any solvers (mostly I'm posting about it now so I don't forget after a day of holding off).
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Jeff Myers, the third contestant in Andrew He/Molly Karol game, had 53-54 buzzer attempts.
Attachments
356FD2B4-D236-4734-A5DD-044CC93FC3D6.jpeg
356FD2B4-D236-4734-A5DD-044CC93FC3D6.jpeg (178.16 KiB) Viewed 908 times
Douglas Squasoni
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

3 clues were triple stumpers and 3 were Daily Doubles so the absolute maximum number of clues he could have buzzed on is 54. Not gonna call him a liar but it's pretty convenient to claim that exact number. And of course the stats we DO know, from the Archive, are that he got 12 right and 1 wrong so he actually got in 13 times. So his own personal recollection thinking he won 5-6 buzzes casts a bit of doubt on his other claims.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:53 am I recognized a coincidence between the Sunday NYT crossword puzzle and a tweet I had made, and then I looked up my tweet and discovered it was a more remarkable coincidence than I'd thought. I'll be more specific later so I don't spoil any solvers (mostly I'm posting about it now so I don't forget after a day of holding off).
It's not midnight where I am yet, but I think it's late enough. I'll spoiler tag it just in case. It contains a description of the puzzle's gimmick and some answers.
Spoiler
The puzzle had several phrases that were broken up into consecutive Across answers, but into unrelated words, e.g. MIRACLE ON ICE was in the puzzle as MIRA CLEO NICE. The confusing part was that the clues were divided as well, so MIRA was "historic," CLEO was "hockey," and NICE was "upset."

Anyway, the bottom row one of these had the clues "Home/Decorating/Guru" with the answers being MART/HASTE/WART. And I was amused solving this because I once tweeted "mart haste wart" as a bit of wordplay on Martha Stewart's name. Then I looked up the tweet: I posted it on October 23, 2011, eleven years to the day before this crossword's date.

edit: I just checked the precise time I posted it, and it was 11:27 pm, and I'm west coast, so it's probably dated October 24 for most people. It's still cool to me!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:51 am
seaborgium wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:53 am I recognized a coincidence between the Sunday NYT crossword puzzle and a tweet I had made, and then I looked up my tweet and discovered it was a more remarkable coincidence than I'd thought. I'll be more specific later so I don't spoil any solvers (mostly I'm posting about it now so I don't forget after a day of holding off).
It's not midnight where I am yet, but I think it's late enough. I'll spoiler tag it just in case. It contains a description of the puzzle's gimmick and some answers.
Spoiler
The puzzle had several phrases that were broken up into consecutive Across answers, but into unrelated words, e.g. MIRACLE ON ICE was in the puzzle as MIRA CLEO NICE. The confusing part was that the clues were divided as well, so MIRA was "historic," CLEO was "hockey," and NICE was "upset."

Anyway, the bottom row one of these had the clues "Home/Decorating/Guru" with the answers being MART/HASTE/WART. And I was amused solving this because I once tweeted "mart haste wart" as a bit of wordplay on Martha Stewart's name. Then I looked up the tweet: I posted it on October 23, 2011, eleven years to the day before this crossword's date.

edit: I just checked the precise time I posted it, and it was 11:27 pm, and I'm west coast, so it's probably dated October 24 for most people. It's still cool to me!
I solved it, but I never did get what the theme was.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:38 pm 3 clues were triple stumpers and 3 were Daily Doubles so the absolute maximum number of clues he could have buzzed on is 54. Not gonna call him a liar but it's pretty convenient to claim that exact number. And of course the stats we DO know, from the Archive, are that he got 12 right and 1 wrong so he actually got in 13 times. So his own personal recollection thinking he won 5-6 buzzes casts a bit of doubt on his other claims.
And if he was only 6 for 54, (11%) that would be far below the numbers we've been seeing.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:20 am
jeff6286 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:38 pm 3 clues were triple stumpers and 3 were Daily Doubles so the absolute maximum number of clues he could have buzzed on is 54. Not gonna call him a liar but it's pretty convenient to claim that exact number. And of course the stats we DO know, from the Archive, are that he got 12 right and 1 wrong so he actually got in 13 times. So his own personal recollection thinking he won 5-6 buzzes casts a bit of doubt on his other claims.
And if he was only 6 for 54, (11%) that would be far below the numbers we've been seeing.
Accountants fudging numbers? I've never heard of such a thing.

Different topic:

How long until Rishi Sunak appears in a J! clue? Or a post in the Current Events thread?