Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by trainman »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:38 pm This came up on yesterday's Master Minds. Instaget here for some reason.
When I decided I wanted to get my own domain, ellwanger.com, ellwanger.net, and ellwanger.org were already taken by Germans. That was back when I was working as a closed-captioner, so I figured that of the other TLDs available at the time, ellwanger.tv seemed the most appropriate. (It's still more expensive than most other TLDs, but, oh, well.)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I found a pre-J! TV appearance of Jerry Frankel, playing the piano for singer Weba Garretson in a cabaret act called "The Weba Show," on "Thicke of the Night," Alan Thicke's short-lived talk show, in January 1984.

https://youtu.be/1bXi9oSkO0Q
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Today was a sad day for me and my family. My cat had a couple of seizures overnight and my mom took her to the hospital. My mom didn’t want her to continue living in pain so she euthanized her. My cat has passed away at 16 years old. :cry:
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:25 pm Today was a sad day for me and my family. My cat had a couple of seizures overnight and my mom took her to the hospital. My mom didn’t want her to continue living in pain so she euthanized her. My cat has passed away at 16 years old. :cry:
Sorry for you loss as it's always tough to lose beloved family members whether human or the pet variety.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Condolences, Doug.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:25 pm Today was a sad day for me and my family. My cat had a couple of seizures overnight and my mom took her to the hospital. My mom didn’t want her to continue living in pain so she euthanized her. My cat has passed away at 16 years old. :cry:
:cry: So sorry. It's hard to lose a kitty.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Condolences, LSV. 16 years is a pretty good run for a cat.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

A couple of days ago I was looking for mentions of J! contestants on newspapers.com, and found a three-line "vidbit" in the Tampa Tribune for Monday, January 8, 1990 saying that a Sherri Olson of Bradenton would be on Jeopardy that coming Friday. That's in the middle of Frank Spangenberg's run, which J! Archive has all of, and he had no opponent named Sherri Olson. I couldn't find any other newspaper mention of a J! appearance by anyone of that name. I saved the images of the text so I wouldn't forget about it.

Tonight I revisited those saved images, and realized I didn't save the date or the name of the paper, so I searched "Sherri Olson of Bradenton" to find the item again, and I found it, as well as a result from the Bradenton Herald on Thursday, January 11, 1990, saying she would be on Wheel of Fortune the following night. :lol: Both items said she'd be on at 7:00 on channel 10.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Culver's has the best cheese curds in history, but this is some copyright infringement...
Attachments
Screenshot_20230225_084710_Yahoo Mail.jpg
Screenshot_20230225_084710_Yahoo Mail.jpg (67.22 KiB) Viewed 3073 times
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Condolences, Douglas. It's never easy. Remember the good times.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Can someone explain the NCAAW ranking system to me?

So, #6 Iowa beats #2 Indiana and #8 Utah beats #3 Stanford.

I can understand Indiana staying #2, but somehow Utah jumps to #3, Stanford falls to #6 and Iowa somehow DROPS to #7?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:33 pm Can someone explain the NCAAW ranking system to me?

I can understand Indiana staying #2, but somehow Utah jumps to #3, Stanford falls to #6 and Iowa somehow DROPS to #7?
Iowa lost by 28 to Maryland, who moved from #7 to #5.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:04 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:33 pm Can someone explain the NCAAW ranking system to me?

Iowa lost by 28 to Maryland, who moved from #7 to #5.
Go Terps!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

To my surprise, our local rag (The Joplin Globe) has dropped Dilbert today. This is Trump country, and I expect the paper will get some cancellations for caving in to cancel culture and being woke. We actually have had a decent comics section except for the zombie strips that won't go away.
It might be easier to ask if anybody else still has Dilbert today. I was pretty apathetic about whether the paper cancelled him or not. Lots of commenters are piling on and saying it wasn't funny anymore, but I disagree. But I can be done with it because new cartoonists need a shot and they won't kill the zombies. The local paper dumped Non Sequitur in 2019 for the inadvertent (?) Trump profanity hidden in the borders, so maybe they think they get away with a stroke of decency. (I think the decision may have come from higher ups in whatever syndicate owns the paper, if there is one).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:06 am To my surprise, our local rag (The Joplin Globe) has dropped Dilbert today. This is Trump country, and I expect the paper will get some cancellations for caving in to cancel culture and being woke. We actually have had a decent comics section except for the zombie strips that won't go away.
It might be easier to ask if anybody else still has Dilbert today. I was pretty apathetic about whether the paper cancelled him or not. Lots of commenters are piling on and saying it wasn't funny anymore, but I disagree. But I can be done with it because new cartoonists need a shot and they won't kill the zombies. The local paper dumped Non Sequitur in 2019 for the inadvertent (?) Trump profanity hidden in the borders, so maybe they think they get away with a stroke of decency. (I think the decision may have come from higher ups in whatever syndicate owns the paper, if there is one).
Looks like it's owned by an outfit called CNHI, and the Joplin Globe is actually one of their largest-circulation papers.

The syndicate has canceled the strip anyway, so even if they'd wanted to keep it, they wouldn't have had a choice.

The L.A. Times -- which I think is still the largest-circulation paper in the U.S. that has a regular comics page -- dropped "Non Sequitur" after the profanity incident, but then brought it back after cartoonist Wiley Miller was sufficiently contrite. They did permanently drop "9 Chickweed Lane" late in 2021 after it used an ethnic slur (which they didn't catch before publication).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

In my opinion, Dilbert hasn't been remotely funny or entertaining in years. I was still reading it, but it was force of habit and I was closing in on a decision to not even bother anymore. Good riddance!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The Washington Post, which has unfortunately been shedding interesting features lately, has a fairly new one called the Department of Data that has been fascinating. Your humble narrator submitted a question which was used in the most recent column (link is gifted to avoid their paywall):

https://wapo.st/3KKsPi8
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:52 am The Washington Post, which has unfortunately been shedding interesting features lately, has a fairly new one called the Department of Data that has been fascinating. Your humble narrator submitted a question which was used in the most recent column (link is gifted to avoid their paywall):

Thanks for the paywall hack. The response to your question was kind of a nothingburger imho. Saying your birthplace was the medical facility or the rice paddy or taxicab seems disingenuous to me. You might as well go all out and say it's the location of conception, (rice paddy and taxicab are still contenders ;)). I think by "birthplace" we all mean where did you live after delivery, even if briefly.

TIL (from the comments) that I annoy people because I use "data" fluidly without regard to plural/singular context. I always say the long a, as dayta. I definitely don't deserve to have a comic strip published.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:18 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:52 am The Washington Post, which has unfortunately been shedding interesting features lately, has a fairly new one called the Department of Data that has been fascinating. Your humble narrator submitted a question which was used in the most recent column (link is gifted to avoid their paywall):

Thanks for the paywall hack. The response to your question was kind of a nothingburger imho. Saying your birthplace was the medical facility or the rice paddy or taxicab seems disingenuous to me. You might as well go all out and say it's the location of conception, (rice paddy and taxicab are still contenders ;)). I think by "birthplace" we all mean where did you live after delivery, even if briefly.
It does add a nice layer of obscurity for those security questions of "Where were you born?" though.

(That said, for those of us with -real- security mindsets, those get filled with junk data and saved to a key locker.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

In relation to the death of Bob Richards, I just stumbled across an article about his political views. Yuch.