Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DCFan1911
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by DCFan1911 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:50 pm On today’s Tug of Words:

Where the Sorbonne is.

Contestant: Bronx :lol:
That's on par with a 2021 Weakest Link episode where a contestant was shown a photo of Stonehenge and asked what country it was in...and the contestant guessed "Egypt".
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Seriously? Liam Neeson? He's about a million years too old and a million blimeys too British. My first thought, directed at our friends across the pond, was "What did we ever do to you?" I immediately heard a British voice in my head reply, "Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes?" And I thought, ok, fair point.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:40 pm a million blimeys too British
a billion begorrahs?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

What did you think of Caan in Poodle Springs?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:34 pm Don’t Yogesh and Troy know each other? So if Troy is playing next week does that mean Yogesh gets eliminated this week?
Not sure it matters. How many times have Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter faced off?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:53 am
MattKnowles wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:34 pm Don’t Yogesh and Troy know each other? So if Troy is playing next week does that mean Yogesh gets eliminated this week?
Not sure it matters. How many times have Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter faced off?
Ken and Brad faced each other many times in tournaments. But this is regular play. If contestants “know of each other” but not very well personally, then it is okay to be with each other in regular play. However, as I have posted, Yogesh and Troy have competed with each other on the same team in quizzing tournaments. They also have a long history of competing on LL. I would say their relationship is close enough that they are barred from facing each other in non-tournament play.
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:10 am What did you think of Caan in Poodle Springs?
Haven't seen it. 1998 Jimmy Caan is closer to Marlowe as described in the books. 58 is close to the right age for when Chandler started writing the book (he never finished). And Caan has a reasonable amount of American hard-boiledness that never turns into machismo. He can look properly worried, and that's important. Marlowe is not one of these super-cool heroes who never breaks a sweat.

Unfortunately we long ago lost our chance to have the perfect onscreen Philip Marlowe. That would have been Harrison Ford in the 80s. We do get close, though, with the character of Rick Deckard in Blade Runner. The movie itself is quite faithful to the spirit of Philip K. Dick and the kinds of questions he explored. But the character of Rick Deckard, as portrayed by Ford, is not at all like the character Dick wrote. Dick's Deckard, like many of his main characters, is somewhat spineless. He's a semi-incompetent screw-up, in over his head and facing problems, many of them self-created, that he lacks the basic tools to deal with. The character note in Dick's novel is not that Deckard is divorced as he is in the movie (at least in the theatrical release where we got the helpful voice-over to baby us along). In the novel he's married and henpecked and doesn't know how to stand up to his wife. Ford's Rick Deckard is definitely in over his head, but he's not a screw-up and definitely not spineless. What he is is Philip Marlowe, transported to the 21st century. He's the man who goes down those mean streets without being himself mean. He is neither tarnished nor afraid. Well, ok, he's afraid (Marlowe was too) but he goes anyway.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:04 am
Ken and Brad faced each other many times in tournaments. But this is regular play. If contestants “know of each other” but not very well personally, then it is okay to be with each other in regular play. However, as I have posted, Yogesh and Troy have competed with each other on the same team in quizzing tournaments. They also have a long history of competing on LL. I would say their relationship is close enough that they are barred from facing each other in non-tournament play.
Does that even matter any more? There are no ties, so there can't be any collusion.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:15 am
Does that even matter any more? There are no ties, so there can't be any collusion.
I'm sure there's some way they could still possibly collude. Let's say one of them is the fall guy and his job is to intentionally block the third player, i.e. Yogesh doesn't know an answer so he signals Troy to ring in. We all know this is absurd, but I think LSV is correct that the show isn't going to even risk the appearance of impropriety. I would be surprised to see Yogesh and Troy face off, but we shall see!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Seems ABC didn't get the memo...
FTX.jpg
FTX.jpg (11 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:00 am
Robert K S wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:10 am What did you think of Caan in Poodle Springs?
Haven't seen it.
I think you might be able to find it for free on one of those ad-based streaming services. Not earth-shattering but decent. I was surprised how good I thought Caan was in it. He already wasn't young, but that made some of his cynicism and world-weariness more believable. He's also a very different, more low-key Caan than you find in, say, The Godfather. It made me wish there had been 10 more Marlowe movies starring Caan made in the '70s and '80s.

A worthwhile watch if you're up late and can't think of anything else to do.
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:25 pm
econgator wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:15 am
I'm sure there's some way they could still possibly collude. Let's say one of them is the fall guy and his job is to intentionally block the third player, i.e. Yogesh doesn't know an answer so he signals Troy to ring in. We all know this is absurd, but I think LSV is correct that the show isn't going to even risk the appearance of impropriety. I would be surprised to see Yogesh and Troy face off, but we shall see!
As I have mentioned before, people need to read this article when the topic of collusion comes up.
Read this page in the archive and the article it links to:
https://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6767
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html

"After years of watching “Jeopardy!” with her parents, Cloyd took the show’s online tryout test in early 2009. She did well enough to be one of 30 would-be contestants invited to a follow-up audition in Washington that May. When the organizers asked who had traveled the farthest, she heard Braverman announce that she’d come in from law school at the University of Michigan — Cloyd’s alma mater — and that she’d soon be moving to the District to work for Bread for the City, Cloyd’s favorite charity.

“I was like, ‘Whoa, I want to be friends with this girl,’ ” recalls Cloyd, a 31-year-old outreach coordinator at the U.S. Global Change Research Program. At the end of the session, she followed Braverman into the elevator, gave her a card and suggested she touch base once she was settled in the city."

Again, they did not come particularly close to tying. But, how can this be read as them never having had contact before playing?
If S&P allowed them to play each other in regular play before the tiebreaker, I have to believe there were many other cases in the history of Jeopardy! of people who had at least some contact before playing.

So, one has to wonder how worried S&P ever really was about collusion.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

According to the article, they had no further contact after the audition until they arrived for the taping. So they hardly could have conspired unless one offered a tie in an attempt to win the other’s affections.
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:14 am According to the article, they had no further contact after the audition until they arrived for the taping. So they hardly could have conspired unless one offered a tie in an attempt to win the other’s affections.
The point is that S&P had to trust they were telling the truth. I am sure these two were being truthful, but any two people who met at audition could have had further contact and lied about it, unless S&P had a way to audit all phone/email/social media communication. But, wouldn't that require law enforcement involvement?

Of course, I think Robert posted once that the elimination of ties may really be that the producers came to view the tie possibility as long unappreciated bug in the rules, only revealed to them by the Final Wager and Arthur Chu. That may be reasonable. The recent elimination of wild cards in tournaments is probably for a similar reason.

I am only saying that if collusion were likely to actually happen, it would have happened decades ago.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

mjhunt wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:46 am I am only saying that if collusion were likely to actually happen, it would have happened decades ago.
All it takes is one hole to sink a ship...
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:52 pm
mjhunt wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:46 am I am only saying that if collusion were likely to actually happen, it would have happened decades ago.
All it takes is one hole to sink a ship...
With such thinking, Jeopardy! seemingly made an egregious S&P error from the beginning in allowing ties. There was always a non-zero chance people could agree to offer a tie having met at audition or having been held over from a tape date (or even worse, being returning co-champions at the end of a taping week to the next week).

If you want to make this argument, OK. I choose not to join.

If Jeopardy! views the tie possibility as a bug or otherwise doesn't want it, fine! I am only saying it is not a criminal issue (and anyone who wants to say it is must say Jeopardy! was promoting criminality, even if unintentionally, for thirty years).
Last edited by mjhunt on Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Apologies to Mark but when they showed Bud Grant at the Vikings game I was shocked to learn he is still alive.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:56 pm Apologies to Mark but when they showed Bud Grant at the Vikings game I was shocked to learn he is still alive.
He looks pretty good for 95 and if it was an outdoor stadium he'd be in short sleeves.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:08 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:56 pm Apologies to Mark but when they showed Bud Grant at the Vikings game I was shocked to learn he is still alive.
He looks pretty good for 95 and if it was an outdoor stadium he'd be in short sleeves.
Not even the oldest living former football coach who won multiple Grey Cups but lost 4 Super Bowls.