Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by alietr »

Maybe the hive mind can come up with an answer. Does anyone know what this is called? I bought it probably 50 years ago on a trip to the Natural History Museum in New York. It contained some sort of radioactive material that would produce a green flash every now and then as an atom decayed. I'm not finding it easily through Googling.

Natural History Museum Device.jpg
Natural History Museum Device.jpg (51.02 KiB) Viewed 21941 times
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

alietr wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:52 am Maybe the hive mind can come up with an answer. Does anyone know what this is called? I bought it probably 50 years ago on a trip to the Natural History Museum in New York. It contained some sort of radioactive material that would produce a green flash every now and then as an atom decayed. I'm not finding it easily through Googling.

Could this be it?

https://skullsinthestars.com/2011/04/25 ... your-eyes/
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Golf wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:58 am
alietr wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:52 am Maybe the hive mind can come up with an answer. Does anyone know what this is called? I bought it probably 50 years ago on a trip to the Natural History Museum in New York. It contained some sort of radioactive material that would produce a green flash every now and then as an atom decayed. I'm not finding it easily through Googling.

Could this be it?

https://skullsinthestars.com/2011/04/25 ... your-eyes/
I do believe that it is very similar, so yes, thanks! It was a relief to read thorium or americium instead of radium.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Opus Nosy Statistics.png
Opus Nosy Statistics.png (119.65 KiB) Viewed 21554 times
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:12 pm
Spoiler
Good times. Opus did some of his best work on the phone.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Just about everything 94 miles from Des Moines is still in Iowa, save for a very northern part of Missouri.

For humor's sake, let's stick Bloom County somewhere near Waterloo.

https://withinhours.com/95-miles-of-des-moines-ia
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:21 pm For humor's sake, let's stick Bloom County somewhere near Waterloo.

https://withinhours.com/95-miles-of-des-moines-ia
Well, we know from other "Bloom County" strips that Bloom County is within broadcast range of KRNA (an Iowa City radio station) and folks get their magazines at Prairie Lights (an Iowa City bookstore).

Actually, that 95-mile dot for Walford is really close to the Eastern Iowa Airport (which is closer to Cedar Rapids, but it's the commercial airport that serves Iowa City).

Checking Google Flights, the good news is that one-way tickets from CID to DSM are as low as $168. The bad news is that there are no direct flights between the two airports -- most itineraries require changing planes at Chicago O'Hare, although it's also possible to do it with a change in Denver instead.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Just a note to everyone that there will be a two-week Penguin Hiatus™ in the daily game threads and any other thread that might contain spoilers. Mrs. Penguin is visiting family in California and will want to see the games she missed. I will await her return to watch them with her.

So until Friday, Dec 22, there will be no Fourth Podium Polls™, and none of what passes for my sparkling wit, incisive commentary, and mathematically botched wagering analysis. Until then, here's wishing you and yours a Happy Advent season.

When I get back, we can all go caroling:

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Weird historical trivia of the day…

When Theodore Roosevelt became president, he was 42 years 10 months and 18 days old. Jimmy Carter has now been out of office for 42 years 10 months and 19 days.

In other words, Carter’s post-presidency is now older than our youngest president was when he took office.

John F. Kennedy was 43 years 6 months and 22 days old when he took office.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

A Jeopardy! clue from 1997 claimed that A.1. steak sauce had the slogan "It's how steak is done" on its label. (LETTERS & NUMBERS $200.)

Everyone alive in the early '90s remembers their TV ads with the slogan. But the label? To my memory, it was always very old-fashioned and never would have bore something so faddish as a TV marketing slogan.

I can't find any photographic evidence of an A.1. label with the slogan on it.

What do you think? Was the clue in error?

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:54 pm A Jeopardy! clue from 1997 claimed that A.1. steak sauce had the slogan "It's how steak is done" on its label. (LETTERS & NUMBERS $200.)

Everyone alive in the early '90s remembers their TV ads with the slogan. But the label? To my memory, it was always very old-fashioned and never would have bore something so faddish as a TV marketing slogan.

I can't find any photographic evidence of an A.1. label with the slogan on it.

What do you think? Was the clue in error?
On the current bottle, on the side there is a quote, "The sauce that makes everything taste better"
https://cdnimg.webstaurantstore.com/ima ... 163118.jpg
Can't find anything from a 90s era bottle but I don't think it can be immediately ruled out
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Blancanieves (10), Morbius (5), Farmageddon (7), The Batman (8)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

While we're in that aisle, . . . the other day I noticed that Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce is now sold without the paper wrapper. When did that happen? That stuff sits in our fridge forever, so I can't remember the last time I purchased it.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

squarekara wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:45 pm While we're in that aisle, . . . the other day I noticed that Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce is now sold without the paper wrapper. When did that happen? That stuff sits in our fridge forever, so I can't remember the last time I purchased it.
why do you put it in your refrigerator? Leave it on the counter with the ketchup and the butter.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

bomtr wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:33 pm
squarekara wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:45 pm While we're in that aisle, . . . the other day I noticed that Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce is now sold without the paper wrapper. When did that happen? That stuff sits in our fridge forever, so I can't remember the last time I purchased it.
why do you put it in your refrigerator? Leave it on the counter with the ketchup and the butter.
It's in there so it can reminisce about the olden days with the liquid smoke and the Pickapeppa sauce.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Does Michael Davies pronounce his last name as Davis or more like Day-veeze?

I'm just curious because I always thought Ray Davies from The Kinks was pronounced like the latter, but turns out it's pronounced like Davis.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:24 pm Does Michael Davies pronounce his last name as Davis or more like Day-veeze?
His last name is pronounced "Day-veeze".
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Trevor807 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:45 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:24 pm Does Michael Davies pronounce his last name as Davis or more like Day-veeze?
Interesting. Thanks!
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:19 am
Trevor807 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:45 pm
Interesting. Thanks!
No problem.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Aaron Rodgers sure has exposed himself to be a world class ass over the last couple years. To wit:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jimmy-kimm ... tein-list/
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:09 pm Aaron Rodgers sure has exposed himself to be a world class ass over the last couple years. To wit:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jimmy-kimm ... tein-list/
Sigh. Three years ago I had no opinion about Aaron Rodgers. Two and a half years ago I had a very positive opinion.