Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Woof »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:06 pm Something else I found in the gameshow contestants Reddit thread.
That makes sense when you see the high percentage of J! champs that have appeared on the US version. Like J!, they give you a 50-question screening test.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Woof wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:33 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:06 pm Something else I found in the gameshow contestants Reddit thread.
That makes sense when you see the high percentage of J! champs that have appeared on the US version. Like J!, they give you a 50-question screening test.
How potential great J! champs never got the call because they could not stoop themselves down to getting 45 on the test instead of 50?
Woof

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:59 pm
How potential great J! champs never got the call because they could not stoop themselves down to getting 45 on the test instead of 50?
It could be. At Trivia Nationals, AP, Schliemann and RautY all got an audition (as did Morbeedo, BigDaddyMatty, HBomb, Jeff6286 and I in the other session) yet none of us got The Call.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Woof wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:23 pm
It could be. At Trivia Nationals, AP, Schliemann and RautY all got an audition (as did Morbeedo, BigDaddyMatty, HBomb, Jeff6286 and I in the other session) yet none of us got The Call.
Morbeedo got the call years ago, but couldn’t be on due to his Millionaire appearance.
Douglas Squasoni
Woof

Post by Woof »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:21 pm
Woof wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:23 pm
Morbeedo got the call years ago, but couldn’t be on due to his Millionaire appearance.
True of HBomb as well, but as of TN both had regained eligibility, which makes the lack of an invitation all the more egregious.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Only 2 who auditioned at Trivia Nationals got the call. Lynn Yu and someone else whose name I can’t remember. Both of them lost on their first show.
Douglas Squasoni
Woof

Post by Woof »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:40 am Only 2 who auditioned at Trivia Nationals got the call. Lynn Yu and someone else whose name I can’t remember. Both of them lost on their first show.
Zahkia Mendoza was another.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm off to a good start with the Sunday NYT crossword for 7/24:

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm surprised you could see anything if you saw those god-awful Dodgers uniforms tonight. My retinas are burned from the experience.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:00 pm I'm surprised you could see anything if you saw those god-awful Dodgers uniforms tonight. My retinas are burned from the experience.
4-0 LA in the 8th so working so far.

How they are ranked along with pics of what other teams wear: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/316 ... t-uniforms

Any J! writers lurking? There's a category for you.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:11 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:00 pm I'm surprised you could see anything if you saw those god-awful Dodgers uniforms tonight. My retinas are burned from the experience.
4-0 LA in the 8th so working so far.

How they are ranked along with pics of what other teams wear: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/316 ... t-uniforms

Any J! writers lurking? There's a category for you.
The Dodgers (also Cubs) City Connects aren't godawful, they're just dull. The Mercury Mets were godawful. (Apparently the Diamondbacks TATC design was a wraparound. That's amazing and needs to come back.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Golf

Post by Golf »

Never have figured out why these alternate uniforms have to be the ugliest thing imaginable. They make the White Sox and Astros unis of the 80’s look gorgeous.

Home and away unis should be enough. Now get off my lawn.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Golf wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:17 pm
Home and away unis should be enough. Now get off my lawn.
Agree. I'll make allowance for throwback days once a year.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:17 pm Never have figured out why these alternate uniforms have to be the ugliest thing imaginable. They make the White Sox and Astros unis of the 80’s look gorgeous.
Don't forget the Padres! They were worse than the White Sox, arguably as bad as the Astros.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Found this link on the Progarchives. It says what I've long said on the J! forums. :geek:
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment ... li=AAggNb9
There is something very, very wrong with today’s music. It just may not be very good.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

DBear wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:57 am Found this link on the Progarchives. It says what I've long said on the J! forums. :geek:
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment ... li=AAggNb9
There is something very, very wrong with today’s music. It just may not be very good.
Today, you can hear broadcast music from Scott Joplin, Glenn Miller, Bennie Goodman, Elvis Presley, Smokey Robinson, Dionne Warwick, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Carole King, Carly Simon, Simon and Garfunkel, AC/DC, Metallica, Cream, and the list goes on and on. They're still ubiquitous and can be found without any effort at all.

Music will always be available via streaming, but I wonder how many songs on today's Billboard Top 100 will still be broadcast 40 or 50 years from now.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Volante

Post by Volante »

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/pic ... 2LWSZOAIQ/
The Hakone-en Aquarium, an hour southwest of Tokyo, started feeding the penguins “saba,” or mackerel, to cut costs, CNN reported. Previously, the animals were fed “aji,” or Japanese horse mackerel, which they very much enjoyed. The price of aji has climbed 20-30% in the last year, the aquarium told CNN.

Video from Japan’s All-Nippon News Network shows the penguins turning up their beaks at the offered food, refusing to eat the saba.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:14 am
Golf wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:17 pm Never have figured out why these alternate uniforms have to be the ugliest thing imaginable. They make the White Sox and Astros unis of the 80’s look gorgeous.
Don't forget the Padres! They were worse than the White Sox, arguably as bad as the Astros.
I still think of the mid '70's Astros uniforms as the "Oh, my eyes, my eyes!" uniforms. I think the official-ish nickname was "tequila sunrise".
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

It's been 25 years since the golden age of Hollywood volcano movies and I think it's about time we get some more.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:33 am It's been 25 years since the golden age of Hollywood volcano movies and I think it's about time we get some more.
Be careful what you wish for...